Over the course of the summer 2015, more than 11,000 residents, visitors and members weighed in; you have re-imagined what downtown Vancouver could be like over the next 25 years.
You told us that in 2040, downtown Vancouver will be:
- a healthy, life-affirming place
- a network of connected greenways and activated alleyways highlighted by art and businesses,
- home to young families and seniors
- affordable for anyone that wants to live there
- home to multi-national headquarters with a distinctive skyline
- ‘rain-proofed’ with retractable awnings
- supported by relaxed liquor regulations resulting in a renaissance of cafes and restaurants
- where all downtown employees earn a living wage.
These are just some of the specific ‘how to’ ideas creating a vision for downtown in 2040 that is a 24/7 ‘mash up’ of commerce, culture, creativity and community. The new vision for downtown over the next 25 years includes an equitable, sustainable and friendly city that celebrates its waterfront setting. Where protected nature and creative urbanism successfully cohabit. Where digital technology is embraced. And, where our equal distance from Asia and Europe positions us as a city of influence.