OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association's mission over the next five years is to champion a vibrant, healthy and diverse downtown so that by 2017 downtown Vancouver will provide an enriched urban experience that cannot be matched. To make this mission a reality, by 2017 we will have achieved the following goals:
- Advocacy for our members and Downtown Vancouver will ensure our members can thrive, succeed and grow;
- Downtown Vancouver will be safer and cleaner;
- Downtown Vancouver will be more accessible by all modes of transportation;
- Downtown Vancouver is the destination of choice for residents and visitors; and
- We will have a more aware, engaged and participative membership.
The DVBIA is a non-profit society governed by a volunteer board of directors who equally represent both property and business owners from within our 90-block area. Issues are reviewed and programs are developed by volunteer committees that represent a broad range of members and community stakeholders. DVBIA staff take care of day-to-day management of the organization and are responsible for implementing programs as directed by the board of directors.
Pictured from left: Charles Gauthier, DVBIA President and CEO; Peter Raptis, Managing Partner, Sip Lounge and The Refinery (Chair); Derek Page, Director, Real Estate Management, Oxford Properties Group; Michael Lee, Partner, Lawson Lundell; Kim Ficocelli, Retail Manager, Cadillac Fairview/Pacific Centre; Jon Wellman, Vice President Operations B.C. Region, Bentall Kennedy; Anna Lilly, Senior Vice President, FleishmanHillard Vancouver; Rose Ma, President, Block 81 Holdings; Dani Pretto, Principal, Vanterre Projects Corp. (Vice Chair); Peter Jackman, General Manager, Terminal City Club (past Chair).
Not pictured: Richard Lui, Vice President, Polaris Realty (Canada); Gary Pooni, President, Brook Pooni Associates; Bill Stanbury, Project Manager, Hudson’s Bay (Secretary-Treasurer); Caroline Ternes, Regional Vice President, Starbucks Coffee Company Canada.
The DVBIA’s five-year strategic plan (2012-2017) contains specific milestones and goals focused in the areas of Advocacy, Safety and Security, Access and Mobility, Place Making and Marketing, and DVBIA Well-being and Membership.
Much of the DVBIA's mandate is realized through committees comprised of members who volunteer their time and expertise. The DVBIA's committees are aligned with each area of focus in its strategic plan, plus a few others.
- Meet quarterly (more often if required and agreed to by its members)
- Have a small, dedicated membership of decision-makers from within their respective organizations
- Have members complete an ‘expression of interest’ form to be considered for committee membership and reviewed by the DVBIA’s Nominating Committee
- Have members appointed for two-year terms
- Have readings and preparation to do in advance of the meetings to help members make more informed decisions
- Incorporate formal chair and vice chair roles (for both succession and relief purposes)
- Seek to groom potential Board of Director members
If you're interested in joining one of the DVBIA’s committees, please contact Charles Gauthier at email@example.com.